Can Lawn Fertiliser Hurt My Pet?

Your ideal lawn: soft, luscious green grass that is envied by all your neighbours, friends and family. But there is one problem. The last time you happened to fertilise your lawn with lawn fertiliser, it almost ended up with a visit to the vet for your dearly beloved pet. Now that’s the last thing you would want to happen.

According to many people, pets are essentially like another member of their family; therefore, it is crucial to understand what fertilisers can possibly have a harmful effect on them. There are numerous lawn fertilisers that contain ingredients that can be dangerous to your pets, especially if it is ingested.

This article will outline various lawn fertilisers and the precautions that one should take in order to keep your pets safe. Furthermore, the signs to look for if your pet does happen to come into contact with a recently fertilised lawn will be discussed.

Fertiliser Effects On Pets

Dependent on the size of your pet, the amount of fertiliser that they do ingest can be very toxic. This can cause some serious health issues for your pet, such as abdominal pain, excessive drooling, vomiting, discoloured gums, bowel obstruction, difficulty breathing, cardiac arrest, and even inflammation of the liver and pancreas.

It is vital to keep your pets off your lawn once it has been recently fertilised. Ensure that you permit at least one to two days for your fertiliser to absorb and settle into your lawn before you allow your pets back on it.

Organic Fertiliser vs Pet-Friendly Fertiliser

When it comes to organic lawn fertiliser, it is considered as a more beneficial choice for your lawn and the environment. There are many people that believe that the ingredients that are contained in organic fertiliser tend to be safer, and they feel more complacent utilising an organic synthetic fertiliser blend. However, the term ‘organic’ does not necessarily consider the fertiliser to be safe for your pets, when in fact, some fertilisers are even made using animal products that may entice your pet to eat it. As compared with a commercial fertiliser, organic fertilisers that are induced can also lead to digestive issues, intestinal obstructions, abdominal issues, and inflammation of the pancreas. It is important that you read the fertiliser’s application and care instructions thoroughly before using it.

On the other hand, pet-friendly fertilisers are a perfect option for fertiliser to use on your lawn. Using such a fertiliser will reduce the amount of time that is needed to wait before safely permitting your pets to roam around your lawn. However, again, just because it is a pet-friendly fertiliser, it can still potentially harm your pet. The drying and absorption process will be reduced, but you still want to ensure that your pets do not make contact with the fertiliser right after you apply the fertiliser. Once it has entirely dried, many pet-friendly fertilisers are completely safe. Try not to take any chances when it comes to your pets and fertiliser, and be sure to read the fertiliser packaging before use.

Preventative Steps To Take

The most dangerous time for a pet to ingest or come into direct contact with lawn fertiliser is right after the fertiliser has been applied. No matter the type of fertiliser that is used, you should never allow your pets to roam freely on a recently fertilised lawn. Always allow at least 48 hours before allowing your pets onto the lawn. It is also a good practice to read through the fertiliser warning labels in order to follow proper application instructions. Many labels will state how long before you can step back onto the lawn. This period is dependent on weather, brand and type of fertiliser. When it comes to storing your fertiliser, ensure that it is kept in a safe place where your pets cannot gain access to it and ingest it. A great way to store your fertiliser is in a large, air-tight plastic container. This will make sure that the fertiliser does not absorb moisture from the air, causing them to cake.

Signs Of Fertiliser Poisoning

Some things to watch for to see if your pet is showing signs of fertiliser poisoning include vomiting, tremors, seizures, abnormal heart rate, severe lethargy, excessive drooling, frequent urination, or diarrhea. If your pet is exhibiting such signs, call your vet immediately to guarantee that they will have a better chance of recovery.

Are you ready to fertilise your lawn? Get in contact with the pros! 

Fertilising your own lawn may seem like a relatively simple task. However, fertilising your lawn does come with various decisions and potential risks to the health of your pets. With that being said, there are numerous factors that need to be taken into consideration when choosing the right fertiliser for your lawn. In order to keep your lawn looking green and luscious as well as keeping your pets safe, it is recommended to contact your local turf suppliers who can provide you with advice on what fertiliser is best to be used.

Latest Articles