Falls are very common for sick people in your home or especially for those 65 years of age or older. People who walk slowly have a weaker immune system than those who walk fast. Their brains also age rapidly. Caregivers take care of the elderly but fall can still happen a lot of the time. To feel safe at home and abroad, seniors need to understand the risk factors associated with falls and how they can be prevented. A caregiver can give a good home nursing service in Bangladesh.
Risk Factors for Falls
Fall can happen at any time and any place, but it occurs more at home than in the hospital. So caregivers need to have a lot more care for the elderly people. Equipping a senior’s home is important because it greatly reduces the risk of collapse. There are a number of factors that can cause a senior to fall, one of which is sleep and trip, and the side effects of medications.
Slips and Trips
These can happen due to an obstacle in the way of a senior’s walk, due to disability, and due to imbalance. There are some biological causes such as nausea, infection, weakness, pain and dizziness.
Some medications have side effects, such as drowsiness, dizziness, or low blood pressure, which also increase a senior person’s risk of falling. It is the responsibility of a caregiver to take any medication and keep a watchful eye on its subsequent outcome.
There are some common types of risk factors for seniors that need to be aware of.
- Slips on ice and snow
- Falls on stairs/steps
- Falls from furniture
- Alcohol consumption
- Impaired vision
- Personal hazards (inappropriate footwear, long pants, etc.)
- Environmental hazards such as uneven sidewalks, loose rugs, electrical cords
What to Do If an Elder Has Fallen
A caregiver should try to urge the person who has fallen to pick him up immediately. However, do not try to get up too early, as it may cause further injury. If the person seems to have the ability to rise, you can follow the steps below.
- Bring a chair close to the elder person and help them to recover him
- Pull the individual from behind to help them into a kneeling position with hands on the seat of the chair.
- Help guide the person up with the individual’s strongest leg in front
- With a firm clutches still on the individual’s hips, help him stand.
- Finally help the person to seat on the chair
Older people are also more likely to fall when climbing stairs if care is not taken. The best home care services in Dhaka Bangladesh provider can give you a skilled caregiver who monitors every step of the elderly. In this case, some guidelines can be followed
- Install handrails on the stairs
- Step lights should be placed on both indoor and outdoor steps
- Recommended for defective steps/cover repairs
- Helping to be able to see the steps
- Keep an eye on whether the person is wearing senior non-slip shoes
Sick or elderly people become dependent on others due to disability because they often fall due to carelessness which further harms them. This requires a skilled caregiver who is fully trained and can always adapt to new situations. So find the best elderly home care near me.